Friday, September 10, 2010

Where Were You? Snapshots Of History

Outside the sky was a brilliant blue with not even a wisp of a cloud on the horizon. Inside the home schoolroom, however, storms were brewing. Only one week into the new school year and the excitement of unopened books and new school supplies seemed a distant memory, a cruel joke. Brother and sister bickered instead of working through assignments. Their teacher was perhaps the chief offender and greatest of sinners, lacking patience to resolve conflict, and forgetting to pray for wisdom in the gathering storm. She resorted to the act of desperation most mothers reach for eventually, sending older sister to her room, hoping she could salvage something of the morning so that younger brother might learn something.

After a few short moments, sister returned from her bedroom. Before mother could reprimand her, sister said something was going on; the announcer on the country radio station had said everyone should turn on the TV.

This was how my morning began on Tuesday, September 11, 2001. My first thought upon hearing my daughter’s words was that someone had shot the president. As with most in my generation, I have distinct memories of watching news footage of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination, though I was only two years old at the time. Sitting on the floor with my mother and sister in our first floor apartment, watching the black-and-white television set with rabbit ears is, perhaps, my earliest childhood memory. I remember that my mother had made chicken salad sandwiches and ate them while watching the news on TV.

I knew that my children were witnessing a similar defining moment in their lives, one which would make an indelible mark in their memories and shape the direction of their lives from that point forward. We cried. We knelt by the coffee table and prayed. Then I told them to write about what they were witnessing. My son was eight years old at the time, and my daughter was not quite twelve. The following are their journal entries from that day, reflecting their original spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Son’s Entry: 9/11/01 Sunny

Planes crashed into the world trade center and the Pentagon, and it might be a war daddy is in Utah and the airports are closed. We were doing school and (sister) went to listen to her Radio, and then it happed. They said get your kids out of school and get them in front of t.v. so mommy went to go see what it was, and one plane crashed into the world trade center, then they said one crashed into Pentagon. Then the world trade center collapsed, then they said that another building collapsed.
Daughter’s Entry: 9/11/01 Sunny                                                                     Terrorism in America

Today the World Trade Center was hit by two airplanes. A scary deal. People hijacked the plane and flew it into one of the towers. Another followed in the next half hour. On my break I turned on my radio and they were telling people to take their kids out of school so I knew something was up. The tv was turn on and soon the first and second crash ended in the buildings collapsing. About 10,000 people died in the crash in New York. They are comparing it to Pearl Harbour. Much the same. We saw the second building collapse. White House was evacuated and so were all the important buildings. American and United Airlines were used as usage for bombs. The Pentagon was hit after the second tower was hit. There were a lot of people killed there and fire was pouring out everywhere.
Although I had asked my children to write about the day America was attacked, I hadn’t written about it until now. I want to remember that day, to remember how we had wept and prayed together, how we watched the horrible footage over and over, how we waited for news of rescue and survivors.

I’d forgotten how high the early estimates of casualties were, not that the numbers weren’t horrific enough. As my children had written, my husband was out west traveling on business. At first I wanted him home immediately, but all air traffic had been grounded. I called a friend whose husband was stationed at the nearby submarine base to see if, as a military wife, she had any more news than was circulating on the networks. She said only that her husband had called to say he’d be late; they needed to button up the submarines. Once it occurred to me that my home was within striking distance of nuclear submarines, I no longer wanted my husband to come home. I figured he was safer from terrorists in the deserts and mountains of the west than we were on the east coast, near a military asset. I had a full tank of gas and thought maybe I should just load up the kids and drive to him.

People volunteered for blood drives. Flags flew. Strangers were kind to one another in the days following the attacks, when clouds of smoke continued to swirl in the streets of New York City. While walking through the parking lot of a shopping center, I saw an elderly woman back her car into that of another. I saw that she was visibly upset and, after making sure she wasn’t injured, tried to reassure her. “Everyone’s a little shaken these days,” I said.

I learned that a young woman from my hometown had been killed in the collapse of one of the towers. When I was a young girl with a paper route, her family was among my customers. A gangly, awkward, pre-teen, I always looked forward to days when she answered the door, offering her friendly smile and a few kind words. She was tall and beautiful, and a member of the girls’ basketball team and made this shy, awkward girl feel so special when she came to the door to take the newspaper from me.  She was just one of so many beautiful people killed on that day.

Airplanes started flying again and when we heard one overhead, my children and I looked up as if seeing something for the very first time. My husband returned home, and a few short days later our family flew together out west. We had to get up much earlier than usual to undergo new searches and security procedures. We saw dogs and soldiers and automatic weapons in an American airport. The flight attendants on our plane were visibly nervous, though trying hard not to appear so. I asked one how she was doing. She tried to assure me that she was okay, but then pointed to a large, muscular passenger seated next to me and said, “But if anyone gives me any trouble, I’m coming for him.”

When we arrived at our destination at a national park, a huge American flag flew at the entrance against red rock and bright, blue sky, that same brilliant blue that had colored the sky before all the trouble began. A sign in front of a hotel read, “Thanks for traveling. God bless America.”

These are the things I needed to write down, to remember so I can tell them to generations to come. Things I want never, ever to forget. Won’t you join me in writing down your memories of that day?

7 comments:

Misty said...

i was a senior in college. i was in my first class of the morning (930 or 1030 can't remember, but later than most), and i walked in as if it were a normal day. people were excitable but i didn't know why; i didn't watch the news nor did i check email before class. i simply showed up. my prof came in and wanted to know if people needed to talk about it, there was a consensus of no, and he started to teach and a girl started crying and muttered something about terrorists. my professor got mad at her and left the class, he didn't teach that day. it was only then that i heard the news. w/ class having been disrupted and no prof left to teach, we disbanded, many of us ot the social rooms of the dorms or the java place and we held hands, even those of strangers and we watched and rewatched. i went home that weekend, and it was unknowingly to me at the time, one of the last times i'd go visit my parents for 5 years. it was a monumental year for me inside and out. it hardly seems 9 years away.

imoomie said...

Hey, the beginning of the post reflects my life today...I am an awe at the details to your memories. Mine are less visual but I recall more how I felt on the inside.

I remember getting a phone call (I think from my husband?) telling me to turn on the tv. Literally, for years anytime the phone would ring early in the morning my stomach would turn at the thought of it being another 911.

Misty said...

Nancy,
I'm so glad I stopped by. Yes I'm finally back in the blogging saddle. It's nice to know I was missed. I took your suggestion and just wrote a post on my memories as well. Thanks for the prompt.

Andy Owens said...

My community in Florida created a 9/11 memorial park, that was, appropriately opened this Saturday. In the center of the memorial stands a 36 ft ugly and rusted piece of the World Trade Center. Surrounding it are glass panels with the names of those killed on that dreadful day. There were special symbols next to the firemen, policemen, and women carrying unborn children. I took the kids to see it today (Sunday). I found the young woman's name that you mentioned in your post. As soon as I saw her name, I got choked up, felt dizzy, and cried. (And I'm wiping my eyes again now as I type) It was real for me today. I don't recall crying in 2001. I was too shocked. It was amazing that, during the 10 minutes we were there, how many cars kept pulling in. How many people were sitting alone on the benches staring at that tall piece of rusted steel. The flowers at the foot of it. Everyone was silent. What was there to say? You remember. You cry. You pray. The only good thing that happened to me on 9/11/01, was that I saw my baby girl for the first time, in her mother's womb, via sonogram. Finding out that we were having a girl, and seeing her beautiful life on that computer screen, gave us the hope and joy to continue on. At least, when asked where I was on 9/11, I have one fabulous memory.

Michelle DeRusha said...

We'd only been in Nebraska for one month, and I had a newborn...Noah, our first-born. I've never felt so alone as I did on that day, with my family thousands of miles away, my husband at work, and me not knowing a soul in my new state. That was the day I called the hospital where my son had been born a month prior, and asked if they knew of a mom's group in town. I was so alone, and so desperate for friends and connection. They suggested the mom's club, where I met the women I am friends with to this day. The four of us still meet every Friday morning for "playgroup" -- even though all of our kids are now in school!

It was connection and love born out of tragedy and loneliness.

Nancy said...

It's been both sobering and encouraging to read your words of remembrance--both here and on your blogs. One theme that has come through repeatedly--in the midst of brokenness and ugliness and evil, goodness has shone through, and that makes perfect, beautiful sense in a world in which all things are being made new. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Unknown said...

oh , Nancy , I will never forget . We can't and shouldn't .
I remember that they were predicting the CN Tower in Toronto ( near where I live ) might be a next target and waiting for my husband to call from a meeting near there.

I went and took all the kids out of school and brought them home and all of our neighbours spent most of the evening together outside.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...